Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) EX300 Study Guide
If you’re studying towards RHCE, then you may find this page useful.
Our configuration was tested on RHEL 7.0 and RHEL 7.1, some notes for the newest at the time of writing RHEL 7.2, have also been added, were available. There is a link to a sample exam available at the bottom of the page.
RHCE exam candidates should be able to accomplish the following without assistance.
System Configuration and Management
- Use network teaming or bonding to configure aggregated network links between two Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems
- Configure IPv6 addresses and perform basic IPv6 troubleshooting
- Route IP traffic and create static routes
- Use firewalld and associated mechanisms such as rich rules, zones and custom rules, to implement packet filtering and configure network address translation (NAT)
- Use /proc/sys and sysctl to modify and set kernel runtime parameters
- Configure a system to authenticate using Kerberos (sssd, nslcd)
- Configure a system as either an iSCSI target or initiator that persistently mounts an iSCSI target
- Produce and deliver reports on system utilisation (processor, memory, disk, and network)
- Use shell scripting to automate system maintenance tasks
Network services are an important subset of the exam objectives. RHCE candidates should be capable of meeting the following objectives for each of the network services listed below:
- Install the packages needed to provide the service
- Configure SELinux to support the service
- Use SELinux port labeling to allow services to use non-standard ports
- Configure the service to start when the system is booted
- Configure the service for basic operation
- Configure host-based and user-based security for the service
- Configure a virtual host
- Configure access restrictions on directories
- Deploy a basic CGI application
- Configure group-managed content
- Configure TLS security
- Provide network shares to specific clients
- Provide network shares suitable for group collaboration
- Use Kerberos to control access to NFS network shares
- Install and configure MariaDB
- Backup and restore a database
- Create a simple database schema
- Perform simple SQL queries against a database
Other RHCE Related Topics
RHCE Sample Exam for RHEL 7
I’ve created a sample exam, it’s available here.
My Exam Experience
You can read about it here.